For homeowners, the garage door offers much needed convenience to enter and leave the house, while they stay safely inside the automobile. Here are some preventative maintenance tips for the garage door that you should always remember:
- Lubricate all the metallic parts of the door. These include the metal rollers, tracks and hinges. This prevents rusting of the metallic parts and the screeching noise during the opening or closing of the door.
- A leaf blower is useful in clearing the grit, dust, cobwebs and bugs from the door parts.
- From time to time, check the rubber seal at the bottom of the door. If the seal has worn out, you need to replace it. This will keep off bugs and stones from seeping through the door.
- If you notice light seeping through the door when it is closed, you can adjust the opening and closing limit of the door. This is located near the garage door opener. The problem could be that the door hits the ground forcefully and crushes the rubber seal.
- Test the sensors of the door. This sensor prevents the door from closing when a child or a pet is near it. Make sure that the sensors are working to prevent accidents.
- Cleaning the garage door ensures that there are no stains and marks that remain behind. This prevents slip and fall accidents or young children eating bugs and stones.
- If there is a fall hazard because the concrete slab has separated, you need to call a garage door technician in Cincinnati to assist with restoring the floor. Experts recommend the use of sealants to protect the slab from separating as well as preventing discoloration.
- Inspect the walls of the door at least twice a year to assess cracks and moisture. Make sure that you call a technician in Cincinnati in case there is mold and cracks so that he can estimate the cost of repair.
- Every year, it is important to clean the garage door to remove any dust and debris that may prevent the door from working properly. It is also important to make sure that the seals fit well at the bottom of the door.
- Inspect the dark spots of the door for insects such as termites and ants. Remove them so that they do not damage the garage walls.
Always make sure that you contact a garage door repair expert in Cincinnati once in a while to assess the door. This will save you from future costly repairs.